Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Assist from Dad

*This post authored by Kelby, aka Hayley's "baby daddy" and father of Lincoln*

As a former blogger myself, I know it is hard to keep a blog updated with new and fresh information to keep readers interested in the goings on in your life. I shut my blog down a couple of years ago after a good run of what I thought was highly entertaining yarns, observational musings, and a smorgasbord of fun. I pledged on that blog to keep it kid free, and since it was way before Lincoln, that was easy to do. After several invitations and one acceptance of said invitations, I took Hayley up on the offer to help update her blog. My last post, titled "Scenes from an OB/GYN Office", was a good outlet for my experience of Hayley's pregnancy and all that entailed. After birth (as in post birth not the gunk that comes out after a kid is born), Lincoln is here, demanding of time and attention, and I understand why Hayley has little time to update the blog with any frequency. That said, I'm going to attempt to give an update from my perspective once a week. Since Hayley's readership is basically 100% female, so I'll try to channel my inner "Better Homes and Gardens", "People Magazine", and "Cosmopolitan", sans the recipes, celeb photos, and sex quizzes (hint, the answer to all those, whether they tell you this or not, is he just wants to do it, he doesn't care about the when/where/why/how).

So before I get banished from Hayley's blog before I really even get started, lets move on. I'll theme this first official post baby entry about my experiences thus far. Cramming 10 months into one entry isn't ideal, but it'll have to do.

I love being a dad. I especially love being a dad because Hayley makes it so easy for me to love the experience. (Here is the part where I'm telling the truth, although it appears I'm kissing up.) Every husband says his wife is the best mother in the world to their children...chalk me us as the latest husband to echo those sentiments. She is a tireless worker! Whether its rising early, staying up late, making baby food, or cleaning up messes, things just seem to work out right and get done. Being a dad for the first 6 months was one of those things that made me proud, but I didn't really feel as involved, mainly because my mammary glands didn't produce milk. I wasn't a big change my niece/nephew diaper guy for practice prior to Lincoln. I preferred to learn on the fly, which I would recommend to any future father. I helped out with the diaper changes, feedings, watching Lincoln while mom went out, and whatever else I could. I'd bet it wasn't nearly enough. I was also pretty much a waste at night...unless the baby monitor is right in my ear, at full volume, I don't hear him crying. I need a poke (pun fully...er, I mean not intended) to wake up.

After 6 months though, it was like he changed overnight and I could be more involved. Granted, Hayley still does the heavy lifting with Lincoln, but he and I can actually have fun together. His personality started to show, he began to eat baby food, and he slowly started getting mobile. When the weather was good, we'd go on runs together (the BOB stroller is the best on earth), and he started loving one of my favorite past times, TV. All the baby mags say don't let them watch TV until 2, but we didn't follow that advice. His favorite show is "Yo Gabba Gabba", which I actually like too! I've never been a experimental drug consumer, but I'd bet that show is the creation of someone who is tripping out. I've tried to get Lincoln into music. When we run, I'll put the ipod on the speakers and let him hold the jam box. I'm not sure what he's into, style wise, but he's done some toe tapping to the new Foo Fighters "Rope", MGMT "Electric Feel", and Usher's "DJ Got Us Falling in Love." Hopefully he'll have a well rounded musical pallet.

At about 7-8 months, the dude started motoring around the house, pushing some of the Christmas toy's given by his grandparents. As you've seen in previous pictures on Hayley's blog, he was always busy walking around, pushing the carts, and trying to get into places he shouldn't be. He always army crawled, but he much preferred to have you stand him up on the cart so he could push it around. Then, at about 9 1/2 months, he started getting brave and letting go of the cart. About a week before he was 10 months, he was walking all over the place. It was like something changed in him overnight. He also would sit himself in front of the TV to watch his shows and would rarely get up until the show was over and the credits rolled. Then it was work, work, work again. Oddly enough, after he started walking, he figured out how to crawl on all fours to the nearest thing he could pull up on, so he could walk again.

He has now learned the meaning of the word NO and knows that I'm serious when I say it. He also knows dad isn't afraid to slap a hand if need be. After a love affair with the plug to our home alarm system that lasted about a week, No's and hand slaps a plenty, he gave up on that love.

We got season tickets to the Memphis Tiger's basketball games and he was a trooper. The season started in November and lasted until March. He went to all but 3-4 games...with only one semi-meltdown. He (and Hayley) were awesome. Most of the games fell right at about bed time. He'd stay up later on those nights, but would usually crash in the 2nd half in mom's arms. Hayley never complained, always letting me enjoy the game.

Now as summer approaches, I'm excited to get him out more and enjoy the weather and all the events that go on in Memphis. We live in a really amazing place where there is no shortage of things to do. Speaking of things to do, its hard to believe Hayley is in full on planning mode with Lincoln's 1st birthday party. Although everyone says it, no one ever really truly believes things fly by until you're in the moment.

So I'll end my first entry here. This wasn't the most entertaining entry and most likely stuff within the post is stuff you've heard before. I'll try to add some entertainment and not just baby updates in the future. If there are baby updates, I'll bring them from my twisted fatherly perspective in an effort to mix it up a bit. Hope you enjoy!

1 comment:

MeMo said...

Made me both laugh & cry reading your words...